Slater Fire Resources

Please review the following sections to find resources for Fire Survivors of the Slater Fire. More resources will be added to this list as they are connected to 2-1-1.

  • If you prefer help from a 2-1-1 contact specialist, call 2-1-1, or 844-987-0590.

Primary Resources

  • Slater Fire Long Term Recovery Group (LTRG): Long-term recovery group developed to help Siskiyou County residents impacted by the Slater Fire. Assesses unmet recovery needs in the community that still exist after initial federal assistance and community support have been distributed. Also, offers case management for those still in need. Please call 530-493-5117 and ask for Abigail Yeager.
  • Northern Valley Catholic Social Service (NVCSS): Provides comprehensive case management and emotional support services for Slater Fire survivors – includes referrals to all available services. Call 530-241-3371.
  • Happy Camp Community Center: 
  • Siskiyou County Office of Emergency Services (OES):


  • Karuk Tribe: Providing emergency food boxes to those in need in Happy Camp. Call or text 530-643-6369.
  • 2-1-1: Connects to community resources offering food and meals.

Clothing and Household Items

Property Clean-Up

Financial Assistance

  • FEMA: If your primary residence (as a property owner or renter) was located in a declared disaster zone, you may qualify for federal assistance. One must have registered by December 16, 2020. For information on the FEMA process please visit:
  • United Way of Northern California – Stable Housing Opportunity Program (SHOP): Provides up to $2,500 financial assistance to Slater Fire survivors who are at-risk or currently experiencing homelessness and have identified a housing solution and need financial assistance to pursue or secure it. To apply call Matthew at 530-604-1945 or email
  • Small Business Administration (SBA): Provides low-interest disaster loans to help non-farm businesses of all sizes, private nonprofits, homeowners and renters recover from declared disasters. Apply online at Or call 800-659-2955 (Mon-Fri, 5am-5pm).
  • Disaster Unemployment Assistance: Employment Development Department (EDD) provides services to people and businesses affected by disasters in California. If you lost your job or cannot work because of a disaster or emergency, you may be eligible for Unemployment Insurance (UI), Disability Insurance (DI), or Paid Family Leave (PFL) benefits. When authorized by the President of the United States, Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) may also be available for workers and self-employed people who do not qualify for regular UI benefits. For details, go to:
  • Nation’s Finest: Serving Veterans. Nation’s Finest – Veterans’ Services.

Insurance Assistance

  • Legal Services of Northern California: Provides legal assistance to fire survivors facing legal issues related to the fire and who are unable to afford a lawyer. Legal assistance may include issues regarding: impact of fire on job, disaster-related public benefits for families impacted by the fires, landlord issues, working with mortgage lender in the event of a total or partial loss, personal property damage, and other expenses related to the fire. Call 800-822-9687 Mon-Thu, 9-11:45am and 1-5pm, or their Redding office at 530-241-3565 Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri 9-11:45am and 1-3pm. See flyer: LSNC Legal Aid Wildfire Disaster Relief.
  • Tenants Together: Provides information about tenant rights after a natural disaster. FAQ: Website: Tenant Rights Hotline: 888-495-8020.

Additional Resources and Information