Community efforts to control COVID-19 requires all of us to change the way we conduct ourselves, including how to organize faith-based gatherings. State guidance allows outdoor faith gatherings with modifications, which includes ensuring six feet of social distancing between different households. Last night’s faith event at the Sundial Bridge did not follow this guidance. Public Health was never contacted by the event organizers. However, after hearing about the event, Public Health did reach out and sent the faith guidance to the organizers and called out the social distancing and other requirements for outdoor services. Turtle Bay and the City of Redding reached out to the organizers also and were assured that the event would involve social distancing and a “small battery powered amplification for acoustic guitar and mic.” They did not request nor receive a permit for this event.
While outdoor faith gatherings are allowed, this event did not follow state guidelines for several important reasons that put our community at risk:
• Social distancing of six feet between unrelated persons was not practiced, and there was much
• The outdoor venue chosen for the event could not accommodate the number of attendees and
maintain social distancing
• Wearing of face coverings was not practiced in the absence of social distancing
• A concert was performed by someone who traveled here from outside the area
- View full Press Release here: Faith gathering PR